SEATTLE (AP) — Seahawks wide receiver Chris Matthews is out of Seattle’s preseason opener against Denver with a shoulder injury suffered on punt coverage.
- Dodgers hit 4 HRs in 8th to rally past Padres 11-9
- Bonton scores 21, Washington State beats California 71-60
- At least 1 dead, several injured in shooting at Mississippi Mudbug Festival
- Kamara scores MLS-leading 13th goal, Columbus beats Chicago
- Peyton Manning calling it a career after 18 NFL seasons
Matthews was injured late in the second quarter on Friday. He was hurt diving for a loose ball after it was fumbled by Solomon Patton. The pair dived for the loose ball at the same time and Matthews appeared to injure his left shoulder in the process. He was tended to for several minutes on the field before walking off holding his left arm to his body before being taken to the locker room.
Matthews emerged last season in the playoffs, recovering the key onside kick late in the NFC championship game, then had four catches for 109 yards and a touchdown in the Super Bowl against New England.
AP NFL websites: http://www.Pro32.Ap.Org and http://www.Twitter.Com/AP_NFL.